Invite...

Private forum for discussions pertaining to the Worlds (visible only to people part of the Scotland group).
Doug
Advanced Member

Invite...

Post by Doug »

This just in from Glasgow...  thoughts?

This is a fantastic opportunity for your band to experience.  Your band will be part of the official opening of the greatest pipe band competition in the world.

The Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association would like to invite your band on behalf of the Lord Provost of Glasgow Eva Bolander to participate in the Street Parade for non-UK pipe bands on Friday 16th August 2019. 

This event is extremely popular in Glasgow and generates great crowds to cheer you on as you parade through the city to George Square, where you have the opportunity to impress the audience.

Details of the event

The bands assemble at 11.00am at Blythswood Square, Glasgow as the parade usually starts at noon.  The bands will pipe down to George Square (roughly 20 minutes).  Your band will play the same tunes as the other bands (as one massed band).  These will be elementary tunes such as Scotland The Brave, The Rowan Tree and The Green Hills of Tyrol and will be agreed on the day, before the march starts (if not confirmed sooner).

On arrival at George Square each band will be invited to perform for approximately 10 minutes.

You will then be welcomed into the City Chambers where lunch will be provided courtesy of the Lord Provost of Glasgow.

I look forward to hearing back from you and should you have any queries please feel free to contact me.  Also, please can you confirm how many band members will be taking part on the day in order for us to let Glasgow City Chambers know.

cruickies
Advanced Member

Re: Invite...

Post by cruickies »

Mmm, done this before and thought it a bit of a waste but on the other hand, what a way to get Austin TX on the Scotland map!!! We should do it.
Doug
Advanced Member

Post by Doug »

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1.  There will only be 15 Grade 1 bands at the Worlds this year.
2.  As such, there are no "qualifiers" per se this year in Grade 1.  All bands will play both MSR and Medley on day 1 (Friday) and their other MSR and Medley on day 2.  Winners will be based on aggregate score.
3.  Getting in to the Friday worlds is a separate cost.  Can't remember how much it is, but you have to pay to get in.
4.  I don't know what time the Friday competitions start so I don't know what the overlap will be.  
5.  This would be a great opportunity to put our MSR and Medley in front of a large audience.
Ken L
Advanced Member

Post by Ken L »

Sounds good to me. I have to pick up Ellie at 7:30. Should be Ok, if the flight is on time.

Ken
cmwoll

Post by cmwoll »

Sounds good. An experience and puts us on the map. What about immediate family at lunch? Is that an option?
- Claire - 512.431.4030